It's a darling thing.

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Errybody Kissin' Errybody

As an observer and receiver of perpetually new cultural differences and customs, I've decided to blog about one in particular...heaven knows it deserves a darling little blog or two...

I'm just going to say it straight – everybody is seriously kissing everybody down here. Now me, being a touchy-feely person, at first, did not mind this. However, I found myself in some strange and rather awkward encounters with this ever so normal complementary peck on the cheek. To put this in perspective – think about how occasionally awkward it is to meet someone for the first time anywhere. In the U.S., it's customary to shake hands, but even now, especially with people my age, the gesture seems too formal. Instead, we wave or mutter a polite “nice to meet you.”
The same is true for down here...apparently the younger generation sometimes feels it too formal to greet with a kiss, which is fine, if you understand these inaudible social cues, which I don't. Every time I meet someone my own age, I wait to see if they do the “lean in I'm about to mooch you” move, or just offer a friendly “mucho gusto.”

 When I first arrived in Costa Rica, kissing my host mom and brother was fine...but when I arrived at school and met my twenty-something, recently married, male teacher and he leaned in for a kiss, I was a smig taken aback. Not only that, but every time a mom comes into visit, he kisses her on the cheek, because it is honestly rude not to.

Two blunders come to mind with this whole kissy kissy situation. One time, when I went to the movies with my host mom (to see movie in Arabic with Spanish subtitles...that's a story for another day) we ran into an older couple whom she knew. She introduced them to me, and they spoke English. I immediately introduced myself and started asking questions about where they had traveled and how they learned English...but I never offered a kiss on the cheek. That's like meeting a precious old couple and forgetting to shake their hands. Oops.

The other blunder came when a father arrived at school to drop off his daughter's books. I opened the door and greeted him with a casual “Buenos Dias,” and then he leaned in...and I stood there. It was probably only a milla-second, but it seemed to me like an eternity before I realized that I, myself, needed to lean in and kiss his cheek. This was a FATHER of one of my STUDENTS...here I was trying to remember how to say “Who's father are you?” in Spanish and he was leaning in for the kill. Whoops-a-daises (said in a Notting Hill British accent).

My last thoughts on the subject are these: Tico men certainly are some lucky guys, within the first few seconds of meeting them, they receive a complimentary kiss. Secondly, if I kiss you when I return to the States...you're welcome ;)


Xxoo (litearlly),
A kissable little darling

No comments:

Post a Comment