It's a darling thing.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

16 going on 17

I remember when I was nothing but a big blue eyed 8, with puppy dog slippers, sipping chocolate milk while staring at our wooden-framed TV, silently confessing my deep devotion to Rolf in The Sound of Music.  I’d close my eyes and want to be “sixteen going on seventeen” so soooo bad.  



I was staying up to the wee hours finishing a project tonight and suddenly had the overwhelming sensation that I needed to watch that movie.  

I will never forget the day that my mom told me that Christopher Plummer was her first crush.  

In those days, we would get out the scrapbooking paraphernalia, pop the corn, and enter into the magically musical world of the Von Trapp’s.  I could sing every song, word-perfect, complete with motions. 
It’s funny how, years ago, I was DYING to be sixteen.  I wanted “fellas to fall in line” while I danced around an antique gazebo in a delicate little baby-pink-nightgown-dress.   



And even though I’m (ALMOST) 22, there’s still a huge part of my little heart that wants nothing more than what I yearned for at 8…to sing around a garden in the rain.  I want to make an outfit out of curtains.  I want to make someone sit on a pinecone.  I want someone older and wiser telling what to do-ooo.  But most of all, I really, really want to watch that movie <3 

Sixteen Going on Seventeen

No comments:

Post a Comment