It's a darling thing.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

We Went to the Whammys!!!

The youth pastor at my home church (Berean Baptist in Portage MI - woot!) put on The (First Annual) Whammy Awards a couple weeks ago.  It was a family friendly affair that included spot-on lip syncing, featured ridiculous performances, and guaranteed eye-watering chuckles (guilty!).

Please picture a group of grown men swaying and rockin out to “In The Jungle” or one in a inflatable fat suit, hugging potato chips while singing “You’re The Inspiration” … Too much? We think not.

Then picture a brother/sister combo singing “The Trail of the Lonesome Pine” (I didn't know the song, but someone had a hammer in the performance, so I paid attention!) and later we watched their parents run around with feather boas and swords singing the “Chu-Chi Face” song from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

One of my favorites was a Justin Bieber look-alike owning “Baby” with a surprise appearance of a little blonde girly Ludacris, who crushed that bridge-section rap.  What a show!

My family performed “Yakiddy Yak” which we somehow put together only hours before.  The best part was my father’s outfit (I seriously couldn’t talk to him all night because of his hat/shoe/tie combo. Woof.) and the fact that all he had to do was peek behind his newspaper and mouth “Yakiddy Yak” while the rest of us did all the work (imagine that).  He was a hoot while the rest of us juggled props, attempted motions, and pretended to know lyrics.  Somehow we took home “Best Family Performance” and “Best use of Props” … just sayin :)






All in all, I was impressed with this church-centered, family-included, memory-making production…when was the last time the Brittans worked together and produced something fabulous?  History in the making for sure. 

I love when all ages of the church body can get together for good clean fun - I think it’s fellowship perfection, and a little hint of heaven.

Here are pictures from the “Runway” -- I decided to be the paparazzi ;)   


































No comments:

Post a Comment