It's a darling thing.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

His Name Was Monkey

On Saturday I had another adventure – I went white water rafting! It was an early one – right around 7am we all made our way (me with my java in hand, of course) to commence the impressive car-pooling and later mountain-driving escapades in a 15 passenger van...but I'll get to that.

After making it out the door on time and in the car, (which I thought was an impressive feat for such an ungodly hour) I found myself transferring to another car which contained two Costa Ricans, a Spanyard, a Russian (and a partridge in pear tree, right?). There we were, attempting to speak some impressive Spanglish, or really anything at that hour of the morning, following a line of cars we trusted knew where in the world we were headed.

Sure enough, over an hour later, we were shuffled into 15 passenger vans with nothing but our nerves of steal and change of clothes. We began ascending one of Costa Rica's many mountains to our pending doom. Crammed in the caboose of a blazing vehicle with people who didn't know each other from Adam, we all became friends...fast!

As the story goes, my host brother (David) invited 25 of his many friends on this crazy adventure. Little did I know that almost all of them didn't know each other, and there we several of us represening foreign homelands...he apparently has a gift with us outsiders :)

So there we were, leaning back and forth as we circled the mountain and tried to calculate how much of our day would be spent in a hot, circling, vehicle...when we arrived. On a desolate river bank lay heaps of life jackets, paddles, helmets, and rafts, patiently waiting for young amatures to come and have the time of their lives. Without question we adorned our fashionable gear and out of no where a guide gathered up our group and led us to our fair inflatable vessel.

He spoke English and Spanish (thank heavens) with a heavy dose of humor. We were to call him “Monkey,” as was our team name for the day. As he rattled off instructions in Spanish I simply smiled and nodded (a practice I've grown quite accustomed to) and simply prayed I wouldn't perish due to a misunderstanding of what was Spanish for “bail out.” With no time to panic, we were off.

The first rapid was called “Welcome,” and what a welcome it was! This little darling shoved her feet deep into the crevices of the raft and prepared for the white water ahead. Throughout the day we experienced fun and adventurous waves, absolutely breath-taking waterfalls, and a wonderful team-building experience. Each wind in the river allowed another beautiful view of this incredible country. At one point I would see mountains, another, deep green forests, and yet another a wooden bride swinging high above the rushing waters below. In all honesty, I'd say it's one of the most romantic places I've ever been.

Speaking of romance, I can't help but share this little tid bit of the day, which I have to admit was really the icing on the cake. Not far into our river-tackling escapades, Monkey started asking this darling gringa some rather personal questions. The infamous “do you have a boyfriend” never throws me off guard here (everyone says I need to find myself a Tico man...I promise you it's not that easy) and once telling him the perfectly acceptable news that this baby 22-year-old is unattached, he proceeded to inform the raft that this was a problem.
 
 About halfway through the trip, our precious Monkey decided everyone needed to re-arrange places in the raft. Imagine my surprise when I somehow ended up assigned to the spot right next to him. Towards the end of my journey (after some extensive “practicing of his English”) he instructed, “Let me see.” I turned to him and waited for an explanation, but he just stared into my eyes. I sat there dumbfounded for about a minute until I mustered, “Let you see what?” “You're eyes,” he replied, “they're the color of the sky.”
 
 Well, if my eyes were the color of the sky, my face was the color of a fire hydrant (whyyyy, ladies, do they always start with the eyes? I swear it works every time). His Spanish accent helped take off the corny-ness of his next line, "My eyes, are the color of the jungle.”
 
Okay, okay, I thought – we've got a whole nature-love-theme going on here.
 
 If he would have finished there, I would have stayed a smitten kitten, but his last question stopped me dead in my raft as he asked, “So, you want to go on a two day trip?”
 
I'm sorry, we're vacationing now? Flashes of me floating dead down this very river clouded my mind as I asked, “Like, a rafting two day trip?”
 
 He smiled and nodded. I didn't.
 
“Like, we camp out or something?” Bigger smile, bigger nod.
 
 As I stared at him (somewhat in disbelief in regards to the progression of this relationship) I was saved by the river bank as we now had to beach the raft, arriving at our destination. I smiled and muttered a polite no thanks, harbored the thought of giving him my number, and then, on second thought, decided to die another day (mommy, be proud:). 
 
 
All in all it was a GREAT day! I met new people (besides Mr. Monkey, I promise), explored more of this rich country, and rode a wild river! I received several battle wounds, muddied up my ever-faithful tennies, and left with unforgettable memories.

 Pictures pending – trust me, I rock the helmet/life vest look.
 
Sometimes, as I sit on my bed blogging, it seems serial. I'm here – I'm in Costa Rica and I'm having an experience of a lifetime. Climbing volcanoes, conquering rivers, getting chased by a Monkey, and teaching some of the cutest (and brightest) kids I've ever met.



All for now,


Xxoo
 
 
...The Wardrobe Challenge - Behold Some Evidence...
 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment