It's a darling thing.

Friday, August 3, 2012

The Summer of a Lifetime!

I’m sitting here in O’Hare International Airport with a delayed flight, a new boarding pass, and a woman next to me who is painting her nails…the adventure has already begun! As I eat my now cold Starbucks breakfast sandwich and worry about getting ahold of my principal who now needs to pick me up at the airport 6 hours later than expected - I realize that before I can blog about my pending ventures Student Teaching in Costa Rica, I should do my recent world travels justice…with a really longgg blog.

I was getting my hair trimmed yesterday and my hair dresser said, “You’ve had quite the summer!” As we chatted about my adventures, and she attempted to get my travels straight - even I had trouble remembering what these past few months have held for me.

((May 8th-June 9th))

Here’s what I know - I “graduated” and then was swept away to the Brazilian jungle where I swam in the Amazon river, was attacked by monkeys, held a baby alligator, and met people that changed my life forever. We stayed with two INCREDIBLE missionaries that allowed us to be part of their family. We befriended the locals, witnessed to Indian tribes, fixed up a house boat, and slept in hammocks.

God striped me of everything. Suddenly I didn’t have my favorite clothes, Starbucks, student government, friends, family, language, internet…nothing. God showed me pretty early on that ALL I had was HIM.

There’s something about being outside of your comfort zone - at Lake Ann Camp we call it the “groan/grown zone.” It means that you “groan” while you’re in it, but once you’re through it, you’ve “grown.” That is exactly what happened to me in Brazil.

There were times that I was depressed - every person on that trip was an AMAZING servant leader. Have you ever been surrounded by phenomenal people and realized you are really nothing special at all? Like it or not, it rocked my world for the better!

So, in typical Sarah fashion, here’s the short and sweet:

-- If you don’t wash your hair for two weeks, it does a self-cleaning thing that is gross but apparently super healthy. I recommend doing this in a jungle-like climate where you could care less what you look like.

-- Backward dives are not as scary as they look - especially off a house boat on the Amazon river.

-- Squirrel monkeys are cute, but when they jump from one person’s head to another, they tend to take some hair with them. You’ve been warned.

-- Banana chips in the United States are a joke. We don’t know what we’re missing.

-- Rice and beans never get old.

-- Nothing brings people of different nationalities together like a mutual relationship with Jesus Christ.

-- That power-house of a singer, Adele, can sure break the cultural ice…anywhere.

-- I am so thankful for Bob Barker and his advice to us for all those years, because NO ONE in Brazil has their pets spayed or neutered.

-- Hammocks, although seemingly enchanting to sleep in, suck.

-- When in doubt, act it out!

-- Never challenge anyone to futbol in South America…even if they’re 5.

-- Read “Not A Fan” … and be ready to promise God: Anything, Anytime, Anywhere.

-- Seeing a rainbow on the Amazon river should be the 8th world wonder.

-- No matter how big the alligator is, it will still be slimy and scaley and stare at you with terrifyingly beaty eyes. Run away.

-- Serve Christ Alone. If you are serving others for your own glory or satisfaction, you will not be glorified or satisfied.




|



(Now, while on my flight to Dallas, TX, let me tell you about My Roommate’s Wedding!)

((June 12th - 17th))

Randi Naramore - now Randi Wingate was married to the love of her life, Jesse Wingate on June 16, 2012 in The Middle of Nowhere, Vermont. It was beyond beautiful, relaxing, enchanting, and perfect. Randi and Jesse had everything planned to the T, and days before the wedding us bridesmaids could be found bashing around Burlington or getting our tan on at the lodge pool.

Here’s what I know:

-- God will bless that union, and I am blessed to have been a part of it!

-- Never underestimate cowgirl boots and ivory dresses. Meow.

-- Vermont breeds gentlemen.

-- Good girlfriends make you laugh, cry, and challenge you to be a stronger follower of Christ.

-- Weddings make me teary.

-- Once a Roomie, always a Roomie.

-- There is something magical about late night bonfires, night skies full of stardust, misty mountains, and watching the first pink light of the sunrise. Vermont, you stole my heart.



((June 20th - 23rd ))

Terra Johnson - now Terra Fazier, married her Evan of four plus years on June 23rd, 2012.

This included the dazzling downtown charm of Grand Rapids, a timeless bride, and a million pictures that will last a lifetime. This classy event still has me baffled. Terra and I were friends since 6th grade. I remember junior high pranks and high school cheerleading. I remember boy-scoping for years at summer camp. I remember staying up late at sleepovers talking about our weddings…and then her fairytale became true!

The Skinny:

-- Grand Rapids is happening! In my short weekend there I couldn’t get enough of the artsy little coffee shops and thriving city life.

-- Although sky high nude peep toe pumps may be the arch nemesis of my pinky toes, I will wear them forever.

-- Never confuse the bride’s slip for her wedding dress. Mr. Johnson, I have never laughed so hard.

-- Sometimes you just have to give in and get your nails done…for the bride’s sake, of course.

-- The right guy will hold you when you cry, take the ridiculous wedding pictures, and put up with your crazy bridesmaids.

-- If you’re ever running like a crazy person in the city streets of GR - toss the flip flops and go barefoot. Better traction.

-- The winner is the person who gets to sleep with the bride before her wedding night! I won =)



((June 24th - June 30th))

Less than 24 hours after Terra’s wedding, I found myself on a plane to The Bahamas for a mission trip with the bestie of all besties - the ever gracious, Grace Winner.

There, with several people that mean the world to her, we handed out meds, watched as our boys re-built a roof, and were captivated by the precious island children. This trip - although far too short, was none the less enlightening:

-- 45% of the island is unemployed. So many young people we met just wanted to learn a trade, anything that would allow them a job. I was convicted to the core about my own education I have whined about over the passed four years.

-- Sidewalk chalk, wiffle ball, and face paint are childhood favorites EVERYWHERE.

-- The most fulfillment is found when you abandon everything for the glory of Someone bigger.

-- In heaven, I’m pretty sure we will worship God on the beach.

-- If you’re supposed to go, God will get you there.

-- Fins in shallow water do not necessarily mean dolphins, especially if they are straight triangles and are circling each other. Swim away.

-- Sometimes all you need for a good time is a water slide and a trash can.

-- You are going to hurry up and wait. Deal with it.

-- Flying by one’s self is not nearly as mortifying as I imagined…in fact, it’s one of my new favorite things!



((July 5th - 8th))


After the Bahamas, a fabulous road trip from FL to OH, and some much needed time with Grace and the Winner fam, I found myself in the ER with my grandpa…watching his heart get zapped back into rhythm. By God’s grace, the fam (grandpa and all) somehow all made it up to the cabin in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula later that week where Grandpa slowly regained his strength. After a week of beach-bumming, sleeping in, four wheeling, and some inspired writing, I was homeward bound.



((July 21st))

I relaxed just enough for my body to get sick, and with a fever and cold sweats I took my Praxis test the next weekend. We’ll see how those test results turn out…fingers crossed!

((July 27th - 29th))

 My last weekend home before my current trek included the discovery that I indeed have mono…but that didn’t stop me from a little time at Lake Ann, MI. Along with some much beloved people, that place, much like Vermont, will forever have a piece of my heart. There’s something about camp - my dad calls it the front lines of ministry: campers come from all walks of life to a safe place, where people care, and they care enough to challenge. Watching young lives change, ironically, is life changing. I can’t even imagine how many tears have been shed on the edge of that chapel stage. So there I was, with old friends and new, and a little taste of the adventure that was my life last summer. With the boost of confidence from LA kittens who love me to the core, I had a few days to pack for the next three months.

((Now))

Naturally those few days came down to the last few hours and somehow I am flying to a destination somewhat unknown. Sometime today I will meet my principal, host family, and city that will be home for the next 98 days. I will have a classroom and students and internet access. I have a suitcase full of “what I hope I think I’ll need,“ and if all else fails, a carry-on full of shoes. What else does a girl need? With hopes of a coffee shop in walking distance, a little living space for my toothbrush, and a taste of what has been promised is pura vida…bring it on, Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment