It's a darling thing.

Friday, August 17, 2012

"Visit a Haunted Hospital?" check.

 

So, if climbing a volcano wasn't enough (read yesterday's blog if you haven't yet!) on the way up to this volcano we passed what David (my CR brother) told me was a “Haunted House.” I laughed (and shuttered just a smig) as we passed by a huge dilapidated campus of large buildings. He then went on to explain that it used to be a hospital for tuberculosis patients (I shuttered again). How CREEPY!
After holding my breath as we passed by (one can never be too careful) I was speechless when we wound up in the parking lot of this apparently famous attraction on our way back down the mountain. With my host mother pleading that we not stop, the car swiftly turned in, and I grabbed my camera and uttered some prayers of protection as we entered the main wing.
It turns out that this “hospital” of countless buildings had been left to complete ruin. Graffiti littered the entire premises, and through the spookiness of the atmosphere, I had to admit there was something valuable about the history here. Granted, I was less than thrilled to be standing in rooms where hundreds of diseased people apparently bathed, ate, and died – but it was an experience non-the-less.

Some of the hallways were blocked off like this...





Creepy graffiti...



CR bro & cousin posing against one of the haunted hallways...

 The outside view...I kinda can't belive I went in there...


Apparently there's a leak...


I wanted to plant a flower! (that's just dirt, I promise)


I stood in the shower/bath...and then jumped out!

Naturally, there were BEAUTIFUL flowers on the ground - have to keep this popular attraction at it's prime!




Would you believe me if I told you that there was a nursing home now on the premesis...that's a grandpa making his way to dinner.  It looks so scary in hindsite!



Interestingly enough, when I mentioned that I had gone to this place to some of my CR acquaintances (too early to call them friends, I would say) they ALL knew what I was talking about and had a ridiculous stories to share. Therefore, my interest peeked: what WAS this place???
After some little light research (that I am SO glad I did AFTER visiting!), here are some rather intriguing facts (if your prone to shuddering like this little Darling, brace yourself!).
  • Apparently the Carlos Duran Sanatorium served as a hospital for tuberculosis patients, an asylum, an orphanage, and a prison.
  • It was shut down permanently in 1973 when the Irazu volcano erupted and damaged the structure. (that's the one I climbed!)
  • A nun who used to care for patients, a woman with white hair and a blue dress, and a young girl have all been seen frequently on the premises, peering out of windows and walking the halls.
  • It was visited by investigators of Ghost Hunters International who declared it paranormal, but not dangerous (phew?)
  • It is considered the most haunted place in CR (go figure!)
  • There are child-size hand prints on the walls that are said to “bleed” down them (I saw these – and although creepy, it didn't look like anything but dripping paint to me. It certainly added to the overall effect, though!)
After watching the episode of Ghost Hunters online that was about this very cite, (and doing so while I was home alone!!!) I've had enough...it's all a bunch of mumbo jumbo if you ask me – but I certainly wouldn't visit after dark!
Meanwhile, I'm checking “Visiting the most haunted place in the country” off my CR Wish List. It was right there under “Spend all day relaxing on the beach.”
That's all for now – sure hope we can all sleep tonight!
XXOO
p.s. Saturday night our house got egged. I'm not reading into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment